St. Luke Baptist Church;St. Luke Missionary Baptist Church
Former St. Luke Baptist Church historical marker located in Marianna, Florida. It was an African-American church established in 1867 with church services being held in a blacksmith shop. The Gothic Revival style church was built in 1921 and in use until 1984.
"This African American Church was founded under a brush arbor on the banks of the Chipola River in August, 1867 under the leadership of Rev. Samuel Brown. Shortly after organizing, one of the members who owned a blacksmith shop allowed his shop to be used as the first permanent home of the Saint Luke Baptist Church. In 1890, Rev. William King and congregation selected the present site and a wooden structure was erected. The years that followed were glorious years for the members of Saint Luke and the surrounding area. The church was used for religious and educational purposes. In 1921, under the leadership of Rev. King David Britt (1882-1959), the present brick structure was erected. The church was completed under the leadership of Rev. L.C. Herring, Rev. L.B. Brown, and Rev. Dr. A. H. Parker (1907-1995). The design of the building follows the gothic revival style with its pointed. arch leaded stained glass windows and towers on either side of the central nave. The church is located on one of the highest points in central Marianna. Even though the building was vacated by the congregation in 1984, it continues to be a main focal point in Marianna.
A Florida Heritage site sponsored by the Saint Luke Baptist Church and the Florida Department of State."
Taylor; George Lansing; Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Historical markers--Florida--Marianna; Baptist church buildings--Florida--Marianna; African American churches--Florida--Marianna; Marianna (Fla.); Churches/Synagogues