Marianna Woman's Club
Marianna Historic District
Woman's Club, aka The Russ- Messer House, Marianna FL
The house was built in 1864 by Joseph T. Russ for his wife Mary. In 1891 Theodore D. West and his wife Mary sold the house to Sally C. Messer. For 59 years it was known as the Messer home.
In 1950 the Marianna Woman's Club bought the house with grant money they had received for eradicating hookworm in Jackson County. The house was restored and modified to house a club room, clinic and library. The woman's clubs maintained the public library here for 26 years. The building is owned jointly by the Marianna Woman's Club and the Marianna Junior Woman's Club. The house now provides a meeting place for the Marianna Woman's Club and serves as a community clubhouse for area social activities.
Contributing Building - Marianna Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #97000456
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Russ-Messer House; Marianna Woman's Club; Marianna Junior Woman's Club; Restoration; Public library; Community clubhouse; Jackson County (FL.); Clubs/associations --- Florida --- Marianna -- Jackson County .