Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge
Milledgeville Historic District
Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3 Milledgeville GA,
This is the oldest Masonic building in Georgia with continuous usage since its dedication on June 24, 1834. Funded through a state authorized lottery and constructed by John Marlow (also one of the architects with Samuel Tucker and James Doyle), this Georgian style building was among the more elegant structures in antebellum Georgia. it is also one of the earlier Masonry structures west of the Oconee River.
The Grand Lodge of Georgia met here annually from December 1834 through the 1845 session when its site was moved to Macon. This building was built for the Masonic use of benevolent lodge number 3, F. & A. M.; Temple chapter number 6, R. A. M and Georgia council number 4, R. & S. M.
Contributing Building - Milledgeville Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #72000360
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge; Masonic Temple; Oldest masonic building; Georgian style building; Benevolent Lodge; Historic district; Baldwin County (Ga.); Clubs/organizations ---Georgia --- Milledgeville.