Seney Hall 2, Oxford College, GA.
Built in 1881, this red brick Seney Hall is Oxford's most recognizable landmark. It is one of Emory University's oldest and most recognizable buildings. It was built with money donated to Emory College by George Seney, a Methodist layman from Brooklyn, New York.
It has undergone a major renovation, which is a 1.1 million project. It houses classrooms and the college's executive body. Every half hour, a hammer strikes the old bell in the clock tower atop Seney Hall with a melodious clang. Cast in 1796, it is the oldest historical item at Oxford College. The bell arrived at Oxford in 1855 and was a gift from Alexander Means, the fourth president of Emory College. Its first home was in Oxford's original administration building, but when that structure was razed in 1872. When Seney Hall was completed in 1881, the bell was moved to the clock tower, where it remains today.
Taylor; George Lansing; Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Seney Hall; George Seney; Oxford College; Emory University; Oldest building; Renovation; Newton County (Ga.); College campuses --- Georgia --- Oxford.