Beal-Maltbie Hall Rollins College
Beal-Maltbie Hall Rollins College, Winter Park, Fl.
The Beal-Maltbie Center, originally the Rollins Shell Museum, was designed by architect Harold Hair and constructed by H. C. Cone for the sum of $9,864. Dedicated on August 9, 1940, this one-story building is located in close proximity to the old Student Center.
With a 35x65 foot exhibition room and a large lobby, the 3,339-square-foot hall initially housed one of the finest shell collections in the South. The collection was donated by Dr. James H. Beal (1861-1945), former professor at both the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Illinois. The funding for the construction was provided by his friend Birdsey L. Maltbie.The collection, which represented fifty years of work by Dr. Beal, was later given to the University of Florida. Now, the building houses the Department of Environmental Studies.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Beal-Maltbie Hall; Beal-Maltbie Shell Museum; Dr James H. Beal; Museum; Birdsey L. Maltbie; Rollins College; Orange County (Fl.); College campuses --- Florida --- Winter Park.