Andrew Female College Marker
Andrew Female College Marker Cuthbert GA
This marker is located in the Town Square in Cuthbert, Georgia. It was installed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1983.
The marker reads as follows :
" This institution was founded in 1854 and conducted under the auspices of the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church. It was named for Bishop James E. Andrew (1794-1871), a noted pioneer leader of Methodism. Augustus Alden was the first college president.
This college has been a great source of supply for school teachers in Southwest Georgia. During the War Between the States the buildings were used for a Confederate hospital.
In 1892 the college was destroyed by fire and more modern buildings were erected."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Andrew Female College Marker; Andrew Female College; Historic marker; Randolph County (Fa.); College campuses --- Markers --- Georgia --- Cuthbert.