Waycross Rail Depot
Rail Depot, Waycross GA
Waycross' former Union Station is one of Georgia's largest remaining railroad stations. Built in 1911, it primarily served the Atlantic Coast Line. The city was a major junction for the ACL as well as for the earlier Plant System, which the ACL acquired in 1902.
The depot stands on Plant Avenue, named for southeastern railroad builder Henry Bradley Plant. It now houses the Visitors Center, Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Waycross Development Authority. It was renovated in 1999. Waycross is also home of the largest CSX computerised railyard on the East Coast, so it is still a hub for the rail traffic.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Rail Depot; Union Station; ACL (Atlantic Coast Line); Henry Bradley Plant; Chamber of Commerce; Visitor Center; Ware County (Ga.); Railroad depots --- Georgia --- Waycross.