The marker reads: "SYLVANIA PLANTATION -- Near this site stood “Sylvania”, the plantation home of John Milton, Florida's Civil War governor, who settled in Jackson County in 1845. Milton's holdings consisted of over 2600 acres, a manor house, a school and family chapel, barns, blacksmith shop, and quarters for 50 slaves. Chief crops were cotton and corn. Here Gov. Milton, exhausted by his labors for the Confederate cause, took his life at the end of the war. F-35 FLORIDA BOARD OF PARKS AND HISTORIC MEMORIALS 1961". Top of the sign: Image of the Great Seal of the State of Florida – In God We Trust
30 deg 47' 31.56", 85 deg 8' 25.25"
"Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Plantations -- Florida; Jackson County (Fla.); John Milton (Florida politician); Florida. Governor (1821-1865 : Milton); Historical markers -- Florida -- Jackson County"