The marker reads: "OZARK FOURTH COUNTY SEAT OF DALE COUNTY -- In 1868, southern one third of Dale County became part of Geneva County. In 1869 courthouse in Newtown burned; an election on January 17. 1870 selected Ozark as county seat. A “New Ozark” was surveyed on 70 acres centered on courthouse. The Southern Star and other businesses, moved from Newtown to Ozark in 170. Courthouses on this site were built in 1870, 1885 (replacing one which burned in 1884), 1901, and present building in 1968. ERECTED BY HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND DALE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1979J.J. JAXON CO. -EUFAULA, AL". Top of the sign: Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem.
31 deg 27' 30.71", 85 deg 38' 25.48"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Ozark (Ala.); Historic markers -- Alabama -- Dale County; Geneva County (Ala.); Historic Chattahoochee Commission