The marker reads: "OLD RUSSELL COUNTY COURTHOUSE During the Federal occupation of the former Confederate States of America, the Alabama Legislature created Lee County primarily from the northern half of Russell County in 1866 and ordered the selection of the county seat "more centrally located." Government in Russell County was practically non-existent at the time; few records were kept and taxes levied only for favored political purposes. An election was called; Seale won. Simeon O'Neal and Cicero McBride selected this commanding site. John Lewis was architect. SEE OTHER SIDE" Top of the sign: Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem.
32 deg 17' 54.07", 85 deg 10' 3.55"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Seale (Ala.); Historic markers -- Alabama -- Russell County; Lee County (Ala.); Courthouses -- Alabama -- Seale; Historic Chattahoochee Commission