The marker reads: "HENRY, THE MOTHER COUNTY -- Upon formation, Henry County was the largest county within Alabama composing all or portions of the present counties of Barbour, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Geneva, Houston and Pike. When the youngest county of Houston was formed in 1903, Henry became the smallest. Franklin, the Dead River port of Abbeville on the Chattahoochee River, was the colonial settlers first beachhead into the wild west of Creek Indian Territory after 1814. Old Henry was the original Alabama wiregrass area. ERECTED BY HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND HENRY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1979". Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem at the top of the sign.
31 deg 34' 16.11", 31 deg 34' 16.11"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Henry County (Ala.); Historic markers -- Alabama -- Henry County; Historic Chattahoochee Commission; Barbour County (Ala.); Coffee County (Ala.); Covington County (Ala.); Dale County (Ala.); Geneva County (Ala.); Houston County (Ala.); Pike County (Ala.); Abbeville (Ala.)