The text on the marker reads: "FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH -- The Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy was organized in 1843. The first building was constructed in 1858, on land donated by Ann Dowdell Love, affectionately known as "Granny Love." The second structure was erected in 1888.
The present edifice, completed in 1904, was designed by Frank Lockwood in neo-Romanesque style; the sanctuary is neo-Classical with a saucer-dome ceiling, pendentive arches, and Scamozzi Ionic columns.
Building was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission on June 30, 1995. ALABAMA HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION 2002". Image of Alabama state flag at top of the sign.
31 deg 48' 31.17", 85 deg 58' 19.37"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Troy (Ala.); Alabama Historical Association; Historic markers -- Alabama -- Pike County; Churches and synagogues; Methodist Episcopal Church (Troy, Ala.); First United Methodist Church (Troy, Ala.)