The marker reads: "CITY HALL In 1846, Auburn's founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original boundaries of the City of Auburn. In 1931, the City of Auburn donated this land for a larger post office. Congress gave $90,000 for its construction and the building was completed in 1933, while Levi Knapp was Postmaster. First class status was attained here in 1940 under Postmaster Homer Wright, and it served as the post office until 1991. It was at least the seventh location for town postal service. (Continued on other side) ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION. THE CITY OF AUBURN, AND THE AUBURN HERITAGE ASSOCIATION, 2002". Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem at the top of the sign.
32 deg 36' 29.79", 85 deg 28' 49.64"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Auburn (Ala.); Lee County (Ala.); Historical marker --- Alabama -- Auburn; Historic Chattahoochee Commission