The markers reads: "BIG ZION AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL ZION CHURCH This congregation originated in 1842 with a group of slaves who worshipped in their masters' church, a Methodist congregation. They were required to move to a small house provided for them. Their perseverance and faith held them together through adversities and three other temporary places of worship. This site was purchased in 1860 about which time they voted to transfer from the Methodist charge to the A.M.E. Zion connection. A wooden shed and parsonage was first constructed. In this shed was held the first ordination in Alabama of a Negro minister by a Negro bishop. The present structure was begun in 1867 by Rev. E.D. Taylor. It was remodeled in 1896. HISTORIC MOBILE PRESERVATION SOCIETY 1972". Image of five flags waving over the state of Alabama with Mobile written diagonally across the state at top of sign.
30 deg 41' 8.51", 88 deg 3' 5.66"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Mobile, AL; Historic markers--churches; Signs and signboards--churches