The marker reads: "THE BETHUNE-KENNEDY HOUSE -- This rare, dual front door, double pen Creole cottage was constructed circa 1840 on the military three-notch road, now Kirkland Street. It is the oldest remaining structure in Abbeville. Earliest known owner was Confederate Colonel William Calvin Bethune, M. D. Last owner-dweller was Mollie Kennedy. To avoid immediate demolition, it was purchased in 1976, placed on the National Register in 1978 and initially restored by the Henry County Historical Society. It is presently owned by the Abbeville Chamber of Commerce. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE ABBEVILLE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE 1986". Top of the sign: Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem.
31 deg 34' 1.90", 85 deg 15' 1.93"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Abbeville (Ala.); Historic markers -- Alabama -- Henry County; Historic buildings; Historic Chattahoochee Commission