The marker reads: "SALEM, ALABAMA FOUNDED 1835 -- Among the earliest settlers were the families of Henry Crowder, Dr. D. W. Floyd, Charles Nelms, W. W. Burt, George Heard, John Askew, Moses Pruitt, and Dr. McCoy. Rev. F. L. Cherry, leading historian of East Alabama’s first 50 years, wrote that the town was laid off in 1836 by Benjamin H. Baker, Dr. Erastus Jones, and B. S. Mangham. A schoolhouse was built in 1837. Professor Sheppard, the first teacher, was followed by Professor Sanders in 1838. Academies for the girls and boys, Baptist and Methodist Churches and a camp meeting ground were early additions to the community. A stagecoach stop was located on the west side of town. A “Picnic” ground popular for public gatherings probably saw its most exciting day in an 1856 Presidential rally. By 1855, railroad service had been established from Salem to Opelika and Columbus, Georgia. ERECTED BY HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE LEE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1979 J.J. JAXON CO. -EUFAULA, AL.". Top of the sign: Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem.
32 deg 35' 54.78", 85 deg 14' 27.02"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Salem (Ala.); Historic markers -- Alabama -- Lee County; Historic Chattahoochee Commission