The marker reads: "THE FLORIDA A&M UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL (1911-1971) The first healthcare facility in Florida for African-Americans was the Florida A&M College (FAMC) Hospital, known as the Florida A&M University (FAMU) Hospital after 1953. The school's original two-story, 19-bed wooden sanitarium was built in 1911 (since demolished), and provided medical care to patients of all races living in Leon and surrounding counties. It was supervised by Jennie Virginia Hilyer, RN, a graduate of Freedmen's Hospital in Washington, D.C., later renamed Howard University Hospital. In 1926, Leonard H.B. Foote, MD, a graduate of Howard University Medical School of Nursing in 1936, the first baccalaureate nursing program in Florida. He led a 10-year campaign to construct a new modern brick hospital, which opened in 1950. As a major medical center, the hospital provided clinical training for students and opportunities for research. After the withdrawal of federal and state support, the doors of the historic hospital closed on December 12, 1971. Today, the hospital's legacy continues through Florida A&M University's School of Nursing, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and School of Allied Health Sciences. F-769 A FLORIDA HERITAGE LANDMARK SPONSORED BY THE FLORIDA A&M UNIVERSITY THE MEEK-EATON BLACK ARCHIVES AND MUSEUM AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE 2013" Top of sign: Florida Heritage emblem
30 deg 25' 33.69", 84 deg 16' 54.88"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Historic markers – Florida –Leon County; Tallahassee (Fla.); Florida A&M College Hospital; FAMC; FAMU; Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University; Historic buildings; Hospitals; Florida Heritage Landmark