Preview

image preview

Creation Date

2-3-2013

Description

The marker reads: "THE ROUGH RIDERS RODE BY HERE 1898 The intersection of Seventh Avenue and Twenty second Street was a sandy cross-road connecting three army encampments in the Ybor City area during the Spanish-American War. At this cross-road was located a water-trough where the Rough Riders watered their mounts. Col. "Teddy" Roosevelt frequently rode by here on his horse "Texas," followed by his little dog, "Cuba." ERECTED BY THE COLUMBIA RESTAURANT 1961" Top of sign: A Project of the Ybor City Rotary Club emblem

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Historic markers – Florida – Hillsborough County; Tampa (Fla.); Ybor City (Tampa, Fla.); Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919; United States, Army. Volunteer Cavalry, 1st; Roosevelt's Rough Riders

Share

Image Location

 
COinS