The marker reads: "OLD CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS AND SAILORS HOME 1893-1938 --- Confederate Plot Section Six is the final resting place for the Confederate Veterans who resided at the Old Soldiers and Sailors Home, a refuge for aged and disabled Veterans. The Florida Soldiers Home Association was formed in 1888 with Major Albert Russell (C.S.A.) serving as the organization's president. Four years later, the Soldiers Home Association purchased ten acres of the Whitney Homestead in which to care for aging Confederate Veterans. Florida's Old Confederate Soldiers Home was dedicated on April 6, 1893, consisting of an Italian-styled villa of nine large rooms and a house of two rooms, located at 2336 Talleyrand Avenue. Official regulations required residents to have evidence of their Confederate military service and honorable discharge by the United Confederate Veterans. Sons of Confederate Veterans and Martha Reid Chapter No. 19 United Daughters of the Confederacy. (Continued on other side) ERECTED BY KIRBY-SMITH SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS CAMP NO. 1209" Top of sign: Southern Cross of Honor 1861-1865 emblem
30 deg 19' 57.19", 81 deg 38' 55.18"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Jacksonville (Fla.); Historic markers -- Florida -- Duval County; Old City Cemetery (Jacksonville, Fla.)