The marker reads: "THE KREWE OF THE KNIGHTS OF SANT' YAGO In 1175, Pope Alexander III, authorized "La Orden Real Sant' Yago" to protect the Pilgrims' Way to the shrine of Santiago (St. James), at Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain. Among the Spanish conquerors of America, Ponce De Leon, Panfile De Narvaez and Hernando De Soto were members.
In 1972, Ybor City civic leaders, Dr. Henry Fernandez, Cesar Gonzmart, Joe Granda, Joe Lopex, and Daniel Martinex obtained the first charter of the Order in America. The Krewe is dedicated to the preservation of Latin traditions in Tampa. The Columbia Restaurant is Krewe headquarters. Many of its functions are held here. TP 91" Top of sign: Krewe of Sant' Yago emblem
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Fraternal organizations; Clubs and associations; Tampa (Fla.); historic markers – Florida – Hillsborough County; Ybor City (Tampa, Fla.)