The marker reads: "SEBASTIAN Settled in the 1870's, Sebastian became an important trading and fishing center during the era of the river steamers. To improve commerce and fishing, pioneers in 1886 attempted unsuccessfully to link the ocean with the river via the Sebastian Inlet. A channel was successfully cut in 1895, but a storm filled the inlet with sand shortly afterwards. In 1921, it was reopened only to be closed again by erosion. Jetties were constructed later to protect the channel permanently. F-98 FLORIDA BOARD OF PARKS AND HISTORIC MEMORIALS 1963" Top of the sign: Image of the Great Seal of the State of Florida – In God We Trust
27 deg 49' 2.35", 80 deg 28' 8.57"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Sebastian (Fla.); Historic markers – Florida – Indian River County