The marker reads: "ST. JAMES AME CHURCH St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1863. The present church is built on land granted by act of the Georgia Legislature in 1873. It was erected in 1876 under the pastorate of Rev. Wesley J. Gaines, at a cost of $20,000. Rev. Gaines was the first pastor on record of the church. The graceful central tower and flanking turrets were added in 1886 during the ministry of Rev. L. L. Thomas. St. James AME Church ranks as the second oldest church of the domination in Georgia. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION ST. JAMES AME CHURCH MRS. CARLTON B. FRANKLIN & FRED D. FRANKLIN JR., FAMILIES 1985" Top of the sign: Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alabama-Georgia emblem.
32 deg 27' 55.52", 84 deg 59' 5.30"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; AME Churches; African Methodist Episcopal church buildings; Columbus (Ga.); Muscogee County (Ga.); Churches and synagogues; Historic markers