The marker reads: "NEW COURTHOUSE - 1850 Built in 1850 of locally made brick, this is one of two courthouses standing in Marion County. The other built in 1848 is at Tazewell. The first courthouse was at Horry. When the county seat was moved here the town was called Pea Ridge. Wishing a new name the citizens chose Taylor, for Gen. Zach Taylor, but found there was already a Taylor, Ga. Then came news of a Mexican War victory at Buena Vista and this name was chosen. Pea Ridge was one mile from the ancient Indian village of King’s Town on the Uchee Trail used by Indians to carry trading goods 300 miles from Alabama to Savannah. 098-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation National Register of Historic Places #8000115
32 deg 19' 6.55", 84 deg 31' 5.00"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Buena Vista (Ga.); Marion County (Ga.); Historic markers; City halls and municipal buildings; Courthouses; Historic buildings; Images