The marker reads: "EAGLE & PHENIX MILLS In 1851 the Eagle Mill, one of the pioneer textile plants of Columbus, was built on this site to manufacture cotton and woolen goods. During the War the mill manufactured goods for the Confederacy and the State of Georgia. Products included grey uniform tweed, cotton duck for tents, cotton stripes for army shirts, cotton jeans, osnaburgs, sheetings, rope and India rubber cloth. Federal forces burned the mill April 17, 1865. It rose from the ashes in 1866 as Eagle & Phenix Mills, the added name to signify its rebirth. The present plant consists of a series of mills. 106-18 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
32 deg 28' 12.06", 84 deg 59' 41.24"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Historic markers; Columbus (Ga.); Muscogee County (Ga.); Textile factories; Textile mills