The marker reads: "CIVIL WAR PRISON CAMP Confederate authorities, fearing a raid on Andersonville by Sherman’s marching army, chose Thomasville as a safe, temporary prison camp. Five thousand Federal prisoners were brought here on the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad Line via Blackshear in the second week of December 1864. Colonel Henry Forno commanded the 2nd and 4th Georgia Reserves and the prison camp. The camp was a five acre square bounded by a ditch six to eight feet deep, ten to twelve feet wide. Several hundred prisoners died of smallpox, typhoid fever, diarrhea and a few from trees felled for firewood and shelter. Some sick prisoners were cared for at the Methodist Church and at Fletcher Institute. The dead were buried in the Methodist Cemetery. Local citizens helped the sick and provided prisoners with food. With Sherman settled at Savannah the emergency camp at Thomasville closed. The prisoners were marched sixty miles to Albany and entrained for Andersonville where they arrived on December 24, 1864. 136-5 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER CITY OF THOMASVILLE 1979" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
30 deg 50' 14.34", 83 deg 59' 50.21"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Thomasville (Ga.); Thomas County (Ga.); Historic markers; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons; American Civil War prison camps