The marker reads: "ADEL LIME SINK -- The origin of both this lake and its name is a mystery as the source of water is unknown and analysis has shown no lime in the soil. The lake which reputedly “has no bottom” formerly served as a baptismal pool for the adjacent Salem Primitive Baptist Church built in 1859. The church organized in that year was given the lake and three acres of land by David G. Hutchinson. The area has been restored to its natural beauty by the Adel Womans Club. During the early history of Adel this site served as a social center for the entire community and many generations of children have fished from the lake’s banks. 037-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
31 deg 8' 16.17", 83 deg 25' 12.36"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Adel (Ga.); Cook County (Ga.); Historic markers; Sinkholes – Georgia – Adel; Sinks (Geology)