The marker reads: "SITE OF COTTON EXCHANGE This corner, Wall Street and West Hill Ave., was the site of the largest inland Sea Island cotton market in the world in 1910. Because of this cotton market, Valdosta was named the center of cotton production in South Georgia and was also rated the richest city per capita in the U.S. The railroads were the life line that connected Valdosta to its market centers and led to the economic growth of the town. THE VALDOSTA TOWN COMMITTEE, 1993"
30 deg 49' 50.00", 83 deg 16' 45.42"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Valdosta, GA