The marker reads: "SHERMAN AT ZION CHURCH On the night of Dec. 8, 1864, Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi (USA), Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, was established here at Zion Church. Hq. Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, USA, was at Eden (3 mi. SW). Hq. Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps), Maj. Gen. H.W. Slocum, USA, was at Springfield (12 mi. N).
On the 9th, Gen. Sherman moved forward to Pooler, 9 miles from Savannah, while the Left Wing converged on Monteith (11 mi. E). In the Right Wing, the 17th Corps destroyed the Central RR through Eden while the 15th Corps began passing to the south of Savannah on both banks of the Great Ogeechee River. 051-15 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
32 deg 12' 24.39", 81 deg 21' 44.61"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Historic markers; Lutheran church buildings; Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891; Zion Lutheran churches; Effingham County (Ga.); Guyton (Ga.); United States – History – Civil War, 1861-1865; American Civil War, 1861-1865