The marker reads: "QUEEN CITY OF THE CHATTAHOOCHEE Known by the Indians as A-Con-Hollo-Way Tal-lo fa (Highland Town), Fort Gaines, established as a frontier fort in 1816 by Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, was chartered as a town in 1830 and named for Gen Gaines. A shipping point for cotton planters for many miles on both sides of the river, it was the most important point between Apalachicola and Columbus until the railroads in 1858. Huge warehouse along the river held thousands of bales of cotton for shipping in large steamboats. Traces of a slide down the bluff to the warehouse still exist. The Hartford Road was a main traffic artery. First merchants were Hartwell Tarver, John Brochman and John Dill Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation 030-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957"
31 deg 36' 12.70", 85 deg 2' 56.12"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Fort Gaines (Ga.); Clay County (Ga.); Military towns; Historic markers; Highland Town (A-Con-Hollo-Way Tal-lo fa)