The marker reads: "TALBOT COUNTY Talbot County was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1827 from Muscogee County. Originally, it included part of Taylor County. It was named for Matthew Talbot (1767-1827), member of legislature, member of the Convention that framed the Constitution of Ga., President of the State Senate, Governor in 1819 after the death of Gov. Rabun until the election of Gov. Clark. First officers of Talbot County, commissioned Feb. 9, 1828, were: Abraham Laurence, Sheriff; Samuel C. Leech, Clk. Sup. Ct.; William S. Goss, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Benjamin Loyd, Surveyor; Hubbard Brown, Coroner. 130-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
32 deg 40' 38.66", 84 deg 32' 24.93"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Talbotton (Ga.); Talbot County (Ga.); Historic markers