Preview

image preview

Creation Date

10-1-2014

Description

The marker reads: "THE FIRST AUSTIN CAPITOL OF THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS ON THIS SITE IN 1839, SHORTLY AFTER AUSTIN WAS SELECTED AS THE SEAT OF GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, WAS BUILT THE FIRST AUSTIN CAPITOL OF THE REPUBLIC. THE ONE-STORY BUILDING FRONTED EAST AND HAD A BROAD HALL EXTENDING FROM EAST TO WEST AT THE BACK OF WHICH WERE THE COMMITTEE ROOMS. THE SENATE CHAMBER WAS IN THE NORTH FRONT AREA AND THE HALL OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES IN THE SOUTH. AFTER ANNEXATION TO THE UNITED STATES, THE BUILDING SERVED AS THE CAPITOL OF THE STATE OF TEXAS UNTIL 1853, WHEN A MORE SUBSTANTIAL BUILDING WAS ERECTED ON THE PRESENT CAPITOL GROUNDS. ERECTED BY THE AUSTIN KIWANIS CLUB OF AUSTIN, TEXAS LAKE SHORE MARKERS ERIE, PA." Top of sign: The Republic of Texas emblem Bottom of sign: Kiwanis Club emblem

Latitude, Longitude

30 deg 16' 13.44", 97 deg 44' 35.42"

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Austin, TX; Historic markers; Travis County (Tx.); Austin (Tx.)

Share

Image Location

 
COinS