The marker reads: "IC 19 WHITSON'S FORT About 2 miles northeast, south of the mouth of Cosby’s Creek, William Whitson, Jr., established a fort on the east bank of Pigeon River in 1783. It was an important frontier outpost, since there was a ford there, and the west bank of the river was then Indian territory. TENNESSEE HISTORICAL COMMISSION" Top of sign: Tri-star Tennessee State Marker emblem
35 deg 52' 17.78", 83 deg 13' 23.50"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Cosby, TN; Historic markers; Cocke County (Tenn.); Cosby (Tenn.); Forts