New Recitation Building
Gettysburg College Glatfelter Hall 4. Glatfelter Hall was completed in 1889 at a cost of $92,000. Designed by John A. Dempwolf (1848-1926), a prominent regional architect of York, PA, it was known for over twenty years as the New Recitation Building. It received its current name in 1912 to honor the memory of Philip H. Glatfelter of Spring Grove, PA, a trustee and generous benefactor of the college. A thorough renovation of the interior in 1929 provided some additional windows in the north and west facades. Between 1989 and 1991 further renovations added a tower for an elevator and stairwell on the south facade and opened the building's large attic for academic use.
Built in the Romanesque Revival style, the building's various renovations have left its exterior largely unchanged. Constructed of red brick on a stone foundation, Glatfelter Hall is richly trimmed in Hummelstown brownstone and has a slate roof. When new, the building housed virtually all the college's classrooms and offices, the college library, elegant quarters for two student literary societies, and a natural history museum. A tall structure with a soaring tower 143 feet high, Glatfelter Hall continues to be one of the dominant features on the Gettysburg campus.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; College campuses; College building; Historic building; Gettysburg College; Glatfelter Hall; Adams County; Pennsylvania