Download Full Text (2.1 MB)
Fort Diego, an 18th century fortified ranch house located in the Palm Valley Section of St. Johns County, Florida, is featured in histories relative to Northeast Florida. Since, however, the actual site of this fort has not been established, it shall be the purpose of this report to point out the place where it was likely situated. In order to bring this report into proper focus, however, it will be necessary first to discuss the activities of "Diego Espinosa," the builder of the fort; second to describe the attack on this fort by General Oglethorpe in 1740; and, last to present documentary and material evidence relative to this place. At this time, it ·should be pointed out that the present Palm Valley Section was originally known as "Diego," presumably named after Diego Espinosa. In time, it was called simply, "Dago," and the nearby seashore "Dago Beach."
History | United States History
Jones, William M., "A Report On Fort Diego, Palm Valley St. Johns County, Florida" (1993). Books. 4.