Fort Butler Marker, Astor, Fl.
This marker is located on the side of State Road 40, in Astor, Florida. it was erected in 1963 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. Fort Butler was built in 1838 during the Seminole Wars.
The text on the marker reads as :
" Located on the west bank of the St. Johns, Ft. Butler was built in 1838 during the Seminole Wars. It consisted of a crude log stockade and barracks for the garrison. The Fort was one of the military installations designed to protect the St. Johns River, which served as an important artery of communication with the garrisons in central Florida. On the opposite bank, near the frontier settlement of Volusia, stood Ft. Call."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Fort Butler Marker; Fort Butler; Seminole Wars; St Johns River; Lake County (Fl.); Astor (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- Astor.