Dade Monument, in the National Cemetery, St Augustine, Fl.
Soldiers Graves, Florida Indian Wars St. Augustine, FL, located in the National Cemetery, was photographed on July 6, 2011. The Dade Monument is composed of three distinct pyramids constructed of native coquina stone. The pyramids were erected in 1842 and were originally covered with white stucco. The memorials were dedicated at a ceremony on Aug. 14, 1842, that marked the end of the Florida Indian Wars. The pyramids cover vaults that contain the remains of 1,468 soldiers who died during the Florida Indian Wars. This monument commemorates Maj. Francis L. Dade and the men who died with him at the 1835 massacre.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Cemeteries; Mausoleums; Memorials; Monuments; Pyramids; Historic sites; Dade Monument; National Cemetery-St Augustine(Fl)