Beckley County Marker, Cochran, GA.
This marker was erected in 1985 by Georgia Historical Commission or its successor, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. It is located on 2nd Street, US 23 in Cochran , Bleckley County, Georgia.
The marker reads as :
" This County, created by an act of the Georgia Legislature July 30, 1912, is named for Chief Justice Logan E. Bleckley, of the Georgia Supreme Court, one of the greatest jurists in the history of this State. Born in Rabun County in 1827, he served as a Confederate soldier, resumed his law practice after the war, was an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court 1875-1880 and Chief Justice 1887-1894. Among the first Bleckley County officers were Sheriff J.A. Floyd, Superior Court Clerk J.T. Deese, Ordinary W.M. Wynne, Tax Receiver Jim Holland, Tax Collector W.D. Porter, Treasurer J.R. Taylor, Coroner Morgan Barrs, Surveyor W.H. Berryhill, Comm. of Roads and Revenue J.B. Hinson. "
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Bleckley County Marker; Logan E. Bleckley- chief justice; Bleckley County (Ga.); Cochran (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Cochran.