Decatur County Marker, Bainbridge, GA.
This marker is located at the courthouse in Bainbridge, Decatur County, Georgia. It was sponsored by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1956.
The text on the marker reads as :
" Decatur County was created by Act of Dec. 8, 1823 from Early County. Sessions were cut off later to form part of Seminole and Grady Counties. It was named for Stephen Decatur (1779-1820), naval officer who served with great gallantry at Tripoli and in the War of 1812. In 1815, he commanded the expedition against the Dey of Algiers, forcing the Dey to renounce claims to tribute from the U.S. First County Officers, commissioned May 5, Corner: R.B. Douglas, Surveyor: Daniel O´Neel, Clerk Superior Court, Daniel O´Neel was commissioned Clerk of Inferior Court, also, on June 11, 1824. "
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Decatur County Marker; Stephen Decatur; Historical marker; Decatur County (Ga.); Bainbridge (Ga.); Historical markers -- Georgia -- Bainbridge.