Fort St Simons
Fort St Simons Marker, St Simons Island, GA.
This marker is located between 12th and 13th Streets in SSI in Glynn County.
The text on the marker reads as :
"Fort Saint Simons was erected on this site in 1736 by British forces under Oglethorpe. During the Spanish invasion of 1742 the English abandoned this fort which the Spaniards then occupied as their headquarters."
Historical marker raised by: [Works Progress Administration] WPA 1936
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Fort St Simons Marker; Fort St Simons; St Simons Island; Glynn County (Ga.); St Simons Island (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia --- St Simons Island.