Wardlaw Smith House Marker, Madison FL
The text on the marker reads as :
" The Wardlaw-Smith House was erected in the early 1860's for Benjamin F. Wardlaw, a prominent local citizen. Following the Civil War Battle of Olustee in February, 1864, it served as a Confederate hospital. This fine example of Greek Revival architecture was acquired in 1871 by Chandler Holmes Smith in whose family it remained for a century. The architectural significance of the Wardlaw-Smith House has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey and it is listed in the prestigious National Register of Historic Places."
Sponsors: The Madison Rotary Club in Cooperation with Department of State
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Wardlaw Smith House Marker; Wardlaw Smith House; Benjamin F. Wardlaw; Greek Revival architecture; Madison County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- Madison.