Twiggs Co Marker , Jeffersonville GA.
This marker is located at the Courthouse in Jeffersonville, GA
The text on the marker reads as :
" Twiggs County was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1809 from Wilkinson County. It was named for Gen. John Twiggs (1750-1816), born in Maryland, resident of Burke County, a leader in the Revolution and against the Indians. He signed treaties with the Creeks at Galphinton in 1785 and at Shoulderbone in 1786. Edmund Nunn was commissioned Sheriff, Dec. 14, 1809. James Patton was made Tax Rec. and James Spann, Tax Col., May 5, 1810. Other County Officers, commissioned May 29, 1810, were: Ewin Hart, Clerk Inf. Court; Peter L. Levingston, Surveyor; James Wheeler, Coroner."
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Twiggs County Marker; Twiggs County (Ga.); Gen. John Twiggs; Historical marker --- Georgia --- Jeffersonville.