Georgia Railroad depot at Thomson
Thomson Commercial Historic District
Train Depot Thomson GA
Thomson is a city of 6,718 in east Georgia, about 25 miles from Augusta. It is the county seat of McDuffie County.
The freight room section of the Georgia Railroad depot at Thomson dates back to 1860; the front passenger section was added later. A distinctive feature is the slight curve of the roofline seen in other Georgia Railroad depots of the period.
After a renovation in 1981, the brick-and-granite building housed the local chamber of commerce in the former passenger rooms, while the freight room was used as a community meeting space. A recent rehabilitation project, undertaken between July 2013 and April 2014, included various repairs and restoration work to maintain the structure's historical character.
Contributing Building - Thomson Commercial Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #89000413
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Train station; Train depot; Historic district; Renovation; Chamber of Commerce; McDuffie County (GA.); Railroad depots --- Georgia --- Thomson.