Preview

image preview

Creation Date

1-19-2015

Description

The marker reads: "Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge -- The construction of this 121-foot bridge at McDonald’s Ford was first authorized by the county in 1883, though construction was delayed until 1891. It was completed in four months by J.W. Baughman and thirty-six workers as a modification of the queen post truss design. The trusses have a horizontal cross piece extending across a center post flanked by two compression timbers slanting down and outwards with a set of iron rods slanting down and inwards. The concrete abutments were added in 1958. This bridge is the southernmost covered bridge remaining in Georgia. 2000.10 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration 49-1" Top of sign: Georgia Historical Society emblem

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Hilton (Ga.); Early County (Ga.)'; Covered bridges

Share

 
COinS