Springfield Historic District
Old F W Woolworth Building, Jacksonville, Fl.
This building was completed in 1955, this structure anchored the west side of Hemming Park, on the corner of Monroe and Hogan Streets, bringing F.W. Woolworth's and JCPenney to a site that was once the location of Hotel Windsor. In 1901 the Windsor Hotel burned down in the Great fire that ravaged most of downtown Jacksonville.
The F. W. Woolworth Company (often referred to as Woolworth's or Woolworth or even Woolsworth) was a retail company that was one of the original American five-and-dime stores. The first Woolworth store was founded, with a loan of $300, in 1879 by Frank Winfield Woolworth. The chain went out of business in July 1997, it now houses the Surfside furniture Store.
Contributing Building - Springfield Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #86003640
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Commercial buildings-Florida-Jacksonville; Historic buildings; F. W. Woolworth Company; Windsor Hotel; Stores, retail; Duval County(Fl.); Jacksonville (Fl.)